Friday, February 20, 2015

Group Presentations

What will your part be in your group presentation?  What will you make as a contribution to your group’s final project?

Since I was absent last class, I feel a little out of the loop as to the specifics regarding the class agreements and discussions. Having said that, I do know that I am in the group I requested and am eager to see what we can produce. I am not too sure what my group talked about on Tuesday; therefore, I do not know exactly how to go about answering the questions for this blog.

Within my group, I hope to do a lot of research to find out more about why race in the classroom is an important aspect for teachers to know. I always like conducting studies and completing surveys to find out what other people think, so that could be a possible option.

Having taken a course on race in the classroom, I believe that I still have some of the resources, assignments, and notes to refer to. We could definitely use some of that material if need be. Additionally, I could contact the professor who taught the class to share some of her thoughts. 

Due to the fact that I am a substitute teacher, I witness variety everyday. Just today, I worked with a teacher who received a new Honduran student with limited English vocabulary. I could feel the tension and see the frustration as the two tried to communicate with one another. I tried to use my Spanish experience to assist, but I was very limited......With that being said, I think that sharing personal stories about how race in the classroom has affected individuals could be very advantageous. Research can only go so far. I believe having a deep connection and allowing people to sympathize with a topic can be much more powerful. As a result, I would like for the group to be able to incorporate individual experiences they have had with this subject in order to strengthen its meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment